We use specialized techniques to accurately diagnose and treat your hearing problem
Hearing testing has become increasingly sophisticated over the last 30 years. Although listening to sounds in a sound-controlled booth and responding in some manner (e.g., pushing a button, raising hand, etc.) is still the gold standard in the identification of hearing loss, other tests are used to identify additional ear and hearing pathologies. By using these specialized techniques, accurate diagnosis is possible and successful treatment is much more likely. Hearing tests performed at Jacksonville Hearing and Balance Institute (JHBI) can include:
- Commonly known as a routine hearing test
- Patient listens for and responds to sound in sound-controlled booth
Acoustic Immittance Testing
- Useful in identifying middle ear disorders, such as eardrum perforation and middle ear fluid
- Measures ear reflexes in response to sound
Otoacoustic Emissions (OAEs)
- Measures hair cell function in the inner ear and identifies hair cell damage
- Electrodes placed on the skin or in the ear canal provide objective measures of auditory electrical potentials
Auditory Rehabilitative Evaluation
- For patients who have identified hearing loss and are already using hearing aids or cochlear implants
- Determines performance with a patient’s current devices in simulated real life environments
- Useful in identifying auditory disorders in patients who hear normally
- Tinnitus is the perception of sound with no external source
- Treatment options can include tinnitus masking device, hearing aid or Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT)
The team at The Hearing Center at JHBI works hard to make sure that hearing loss doesn’t stand in your way when it comes to doing the things you love. It is our goal to reconnect you to the people and places you love, and allow you to re-engage in your life. Each person’s hearing loss journey will be different. You can count on us to perform the right tests, ask the right questions and take the time you need to get on the road to better hearing.
We provide the following services to gather all the information we need to properly diagnose and manage your hearing loss:
- Consultation, fitting, follow-up programming and repairs for hearing aids
- Fitting and programming of bone conduction hearing aids
- Custom earmolds for hearing and swim protection
The first step to better hearing is making sure you have a recent, reliable hearing test. We ask that you bring your outside records with you to your initial consultation appointment if your hearing test was completed somewhere other than JHBI. If you have not had a recent hearing test, we will be sure to schedule you for one prior to your hearing aid consultation. Learn more about the process of buying a hearing aid at JHBI.
Don’t wait! Early treatment is the best treatment.